Five of my friends who are NFL scouts (or personnel/MGMT people) agreed to give me their mock drafts again this year. They represent five different teams. This is their MOCK DRAFTS, not mine. A few years ago we were the ONLY media MOCK draft that had Tim Tebow being picked in the first round and Jimmy Clausen NOT. Seemingly every year we get some great tid bits of knowledge like that.
This is what they think will happen based on what they are hearing. It is NOT what they would do. For example four of the five gentlemen all had Carson Wentz rated higher than Jared Goff, but all five had the Rams picking Goff.
We do not consider trades, but all five, yes; all five had Cleveland trading their eighth pick, because they are all hearing that the Browns are shopping the choice. That is fascinating. Also all five though that MULTIPLE teams are trying to trade out of the lower part of the first round. One last additional note is that all five had only two QB’s rated in the first round. Four of the five thought Paxton Lynch at 31 with the Broncos need and being the last pick of that round would go.
I will keep each of their identities confidential as you can imagine that their respective teams wouldn’t appreciate their participation in this endeavor. All I asked from them was that they give me their MOCK DRAFT. I weighed all lists and put them in the appropriate order. I didn’t have them make their team’s pick (that is why a fifth person is added) and I didn’t add comments as that may reveal their identity.
This list is not the order that I think they will be drafted, it is simply five men who get paid to do this for a living and who they think teams will pick. We did not let them add where or when they thought trades would occur. Again NO TRADES are factored in. I weighed each of their picks and the list is based upon their consensus and drafts. Here it is:
- Rams Jared Goff QB CAL
- Eagles Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
- Chargers Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
- Cowboys Ezekiel Elliot RB Ohio State
- Jaguars Joey Bosa DE Ohio State
- Ravens Jalen Ramsey CB Florida State
- 49ers Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame
- Browns DeForest Buckner DL Oregon
- Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida
- Giants Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss
- Bears Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
- Saints Leonard Floyd OLB UGA
- Dolphins Eli Apple CB Ohio State
- Raiders Myles Jack LB UCLA
- Titans Jack Conklin OT Michigan State
- Lions A’Shawn Robinson DT Alabama
- Falcons Kevin Dodd DL Clemson
- Colts Taylor Decker OT Ohio State
- Bills Robert Nkemidichie DT Ole Miss
- Jets Noah Spence DE EKU
- Redskins Jarran Reed DT Alabama
- Texans Will Fuller WR Notre Dame
- Vikings Josh Doctson WR TCU
- Bengals Corey Coleman WR Baylor
- Steelers Sheldon Rankings DT Louisville
- Seahawks Darron Lee LB LB Ohio State
- Packers Reggie Ragland LB Alabama
- Chiefs Artie Burns CB Miami, FL
- Cardinals William Jackson III CB Houston
- Panthers Mackenzie Alexander CB Clemson
- Broncos Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
For my own personal use I have asked every year who they think are the “Elite” players. In the NFL draft NO ONE is a can’t miss when nearly 50% of first rounders are considered a failure. The most they have ever agreed on is four players. The lowest is one. This year there are four consensus names. The criteria for picking an elite player is this: If your owner told you that you would get a 10 million dollar bonus or be fired and owe him 10 million dollars on ONE pick, regardless of need, who is the most sure fire can’t miss player in this draft.
So for the tenth straight year, that was the Spartan Nation NFL MOCK draft. Thanks for reading.